We wait all winter for the snow to melt and water to warm up and then, it’s time… to hit the beach!
There are so many amazing beaches in Manitoba. From the famous white sands of Grand Beach to the rocky shores of the Canadian Shield in Whiteshell Park – Manitoba has some amazing spots to visit whether for a day trip or a weekend adventure. What are some of your favourite kid-friendly beaches?
Kid-friendly beaches within one hour of Winnipeg are:
- Birds Hill Beach in Birds Hill Provincial park (20 minutes north of Winnipeg on Hwy 59).
- Winnipeg Beach (About 50 minutes north of Winnipeg off Hwy 9)
- St. Malo (About 45 minutes south of Winnipeg off Hwy. 59)
- Selkirk Park Pool Man-made small beach located in Selkirk, Manitoba (20 minutes northeast of Winnipeg)
- Kinsmen Lake (Stonewall) Man-made small beach located in Stonewall, Manitoba about 25 minutes north of Winnipeg
Kid-friendly beaches within 1.5 hours of Winnipeg:
- Grand Beach Provincial Park – Northeast of Winnipeg off Hwy 59, on the east side of Lake Winnipeg.
- Gimli Beach (Gimli) – Just over one hour north of Winnipeg off Hwy 9.
- St. Ambroise Provincial Park – South of St. Laurent, just over an hour northwest of Winnipeg.
I am working on getting this section updated so check back for more listings and information on beach destinations in Manitoba.
Pembina Valley (South-Central)
- Plum Coulee Reservoir
- Lake Minnewasta
- Beaver Creek Provincial Park (Beaver Creek) – Found on Lake Winnipeg north of Riverton.
- Camp Morton Provincial Park (Camp Morton-Gimli) Found on Lake Winnipeg north of Gimli.
- Gimli Beach (Gimli) – Found on Lake Winnipeg. The beach is located downtown with a boardwalk and tons of room to play. There is a playground built right into the sand close to Keenora Drive. There is also a splash pad nearby. There are lots of restaurants nearby as well as washrooms, the marina walk (sea wall) and boats to view. This is a pretty great stop for kids.
- Hecla/ Grindstone Provincial Park (Hecla Island) – Off Highway 8 about 1.5 hours north of Winnipeg in cottage community. There is a marina, resort, restaurants, store and three different beaches, hiking and also some nice bike trails. If you have a pup in your family, Sunset Beach is dog friendly, but you do have to walk a little bit of trail to get there. The beaches are a bit spread out from other amenities
- Hnausa Provincial Park (Hnausa-south of Riverton)
- Found on Lake Winnipeg about 10 minutes south of Riverton (off Hwy 8) There is a nice sandy beach, parking, washrooms and the nearby town with store.
- Sandy Bar Beach (east of Riverton) Near Riverton off Hwy 8 – long beach for swimming, fishing. No amenities on the beach.
- Spruce Sands RV Resort (Arnes) Found on Lake Winnipeg about 10 miles north of Gimli. There is public access to the beach (but parking is limited) and a nearby restaurant.
- Winnipeg Beach Provincial Park (Winnipeg Beach) Found on Lake Winnipeg just off Hwy 9. The beach is located downtown alongside a long boardwalk with washrooms, playgrounds, arcade and restaurants within walking distance.
- Bird’s Hill Provincial Park – Northeast of Winnipeg off Hwy 59. A family-friendly beach with playgrounds, canteens, biking trails, washrooms and more.
- Stonewall Quarry Park (Stonewall) – Located in Stonewall – Man-made lake with canteen and washrooms. Town is nearby.
- Hilbre Beach (Lake St. Martin) Found on Lake St. Martin just off Hwy 6. No amenities on site.
- Laurentia Beach (St. Laurent) – Located off Hwy 6, turn west at north end of St. Laurent onto Laurentia Rd. Sandy beach, open to public MAY NOT be accessible due to high water
- Lundar Beach Provincial Park (Lundar) On Lake Manitoba near Lundar. Public access with washrooms, canteen, playground and parking.
- St. Ambroise Provincial Park – South of St. Laurent. Parking, washrooms, sandy/rocky beach,picnic areas and hiking trail.
- Steep Rock Beach Campground (Steep Rock) – Found on Lake Manitoba about two hours northwest of Winnipeg off Hwy 6. Admission fee required. Sandy beach, picnic area, hiking, playground, beach-front restaurant. Close to the limestone cliffs in the Steep Rock town.
- Watchhorn Provincial Park (Moosehorn) – Located on Lake Manitoba, almost two hours north of Winnipeg on Hwy 6. Sandy beach, campground, convenience store, boat launch, picnic area, and fishing.
- Belmont Strathcona Park
- Birtle Birtle Riverside Park
- Deloraine Lake Metigoshe
- Killarney Killarney Lake
- Miniota Hooper’s Lake
- Minnedosa Minnedosa Lake
- Ninette Pelican Lake
- Ninette Terry Fox Memorial Park
- Oak Lake Oak Lake
- Rivers Rivers Provincial Park
- Shoal Lake Lakeview Park
- Shoal Lake Marshall Chambers Park
- Strathclair Salt Lake/Thomas Lake
- Spruce Woods Provincial Park Spruce Woods Provincial Park
- Grand Beach Provincial Park – Northeast of Winnipeg off Hwy 59, on the east side of Lake Winnipeg. Very large with concessions, change rooms and modern washrooms/
- Hillside Beach & Beaconia Beach – Northeast of Winnipeg off Hwy 59, just south of Grand Beach.
- Lester Beach – Northeast of Winnipeg off Hwy 59, south of Grand Beach – Ideal for children- shallow shores.
- Birds Hill Provincial park – East and West beaches is one of Manitoba’s most popular beach getaways. Playgrounds, washrooms and concessions.
- Located on the Winnipeg River, Pinawa Beach is a public beach equipped with a play structure, picnic shelter, volleyball court, and diving dock.
- Whiteshell Provincial Park: Betula Lake, Big Whitshell Lake, Brereton Lake, Caddy Lake, Dorothy Lake, Falcon Lake, McKenzie beach on West Hawk Lake, Nutimik Lake, Opapiskaw Campground, Otter Falls Campground, Star Lake, Toniata Beach in Falcon Lake, West Hawk main beach, and White Lake.
- Lac du Bonnet Beach
- Asessippi Beach (near Inglis)
- Bell Lake (in Porcupine Provincial Forest)
- Blue Lake (in Duck Mountain Provincial Park)
- Centennial Beach
- Childs Lake Main Beach (in Duck Mountain Provincial Park)
- Clear Lake Main Beach (at Wasagaming in Riding Mountain National Park)
- Dauphin Beach (on Dauphin Lake)
- Madge Lake, Saskatchewan (two beaches)
- Manipogo Beach
- Margaret Bruce Beach
- Methley Beach
- North Steeprock Lake (in Porcupine Provincial Forest)
- Ochre Beach (on Dauphin Lake)
- Paradise Beach
- Rainbow Beach (on Dauphin Lake)
- Rossman Lake
- Sandy Lake
- Seech Lake
- Sifton Beach (on Dauphin Lake)
- Silver Beach (north of Angusville)
- Stoney Point Beach (on Dauphin Lake)
- Wellman Lake (in Duck Mountain Provincial Park)
- Whitefish Lake (in Porcupine Provincial Forest)
- Winnipegosis Beach
- Stephenfield Provincial Park
- Turnbull Beach, just four kilometres south of Leaf Rapids.
- Swim in one of the world’s few true-blue lakes at Clearwater Lake at The Pas.
- Camper’s Cove, Pioneer Bay and Sunset Beach: have picnic and changing areas, volleyball courts and other amenities.
- Snow Lake also has a Sunset Beach, with tennis courts, washrooms, a playground and a dock, Purple Sandy Beach
- Paint Lake Provincial Park, just 32 kilometres south of Thompson.
- Troy Lake beach, just west of Split Lake.
- Gillam’s Pumphouse Beach is within easy walking distance — a mere two kilometres from town
- Channing Beach is three kilometres from Flin Flon
- Blondies Beach, near Flin Flon airport, is an excellent swimming spot, with change rooms and picnic tables.